Friday 30 January 2015

Mercat Del Encants - Open air flea market at Glories



I recently spent a lovely sunny January morning with my friend Jairo at Mercat Del Encants. Our objective was to seek out some vintage goodies and check out what was on offer at Barcelona's largest and best loved flea market. 




The open air market is on every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 08:30 and it really is massive!! It's packed full of everything you can think of, old and new, and at times it reminded me more of a car book sale with it's cheap prices and piles of second hand clothing, shoes, antiques/ homeware and miscellaneous items. 



Some traders had all their items on a sheet in front of them in a pile, so you had to sift through it all. I found some retro inspired patent emerald green flat shoes, but when I wanted to find out the price they had already been snapped up by another shopper, it's first come first served!! 

There are many levels to the market and the higher you go they turn into little shops with higher prices, handmade crafts, homeware and even mattress toppers!

As well as writing and performing my vintage inspired music, I also have my own handmade wiggle dress website called www.justwiggle.co.uk so I was very pleased to find fabrics, cottons, zips, buttons everything a dressmaker or craft maker would need and at fantastic prices!
Although it isn't vintage or second hand, I did find a vintage inspired blue handbag for €8, I really liked the hearts and the cute rectangular shape of it.


Overall I would recommend you to go to Mercat del Encants, even just once for the shear scale of the market and maybe you'll discover your own little treasure. 

P.s...

I have heard that on the 5th, 6th and 7th of June the market will be taken over by 'Vintage in Barcelona' and a full scale vintage market/ fair will take place!! So I will definitely be there and I'll be writing a blog about the event. 

http://vintageinbarcelona.com/en/

Love and lollipops,
Natalie x

Here's the address and nearest metro information! 

Plaça de les Glories Catalanes
C. Dos de Maig, 186
Barcelona, España.


Metro: Glories, (Red Line, L1)

2 comments:

  1. will have to check it out for myself Natalie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie!

    ReplyDelete